The Faces of Jay Maisel
Who is Jay Maisel:
- Graduate of Cooper Union College and Yale with degrees in painting but never did a painting after graduating
- Long career as a commercial photographer
- 80 years old, 6’ tall, and talks like Marlon Brando with a NY accent
- Knows everybody in the photography world
- Lives in a 100 year old, 35,000 square foot building “Germania” bank building which encompasses his archives (basement), class room and print studio (1st floor), gallery (2nd floor), work rooms and collections (3rd & 4th floor), living quarters (5th floor) and roof-top
- Collects everything and throws out nothing: full piano sound board and strings, antique cooking stove (converted to gas), barber chair, rocks, takes apart everything, paint chips!
- “Fuck” is his favorite verb, adverb, adjective, imperative, interjection, and noun.
- Extraverted, self-assured, funny, generous, sarcastic, curious about everything, a tinker, proud, and a walking encyclopedia of quotes,
- Has his methods that he has figured out over the years. They are the only way
- Where to put your camera in your car when you are driving
- The system for catching the water from the leaky steam pipes
- Air conditioning system for a 100 year old building
- Photographer, philosopher, husband, father, and teacher