A series of short tutorials on different compositional techniques you can use to make images with stronger impact.
What is composition?
- The nature of something’s ingredients or constituents
- The way in which a whole or mixture is made up.
- The action of putting things together; formation or construction.
Composition is key to providing clean and compelling imagery and goes beyond using the simple “rule of thirds” or “leading lines”. A successful composition draws in the viewer and pulls their eye across the whole image so that everything is taken in. Your composition should support the story and mood you are trying to convey to your viewer.
In the posts below I explore different compositional components and provide tips and recipes for each compositional component.
- Gesture on a mission
- Using Gesture
- Not all gestures are created equal
- Gesture is not a grab-shot (with tips for capturing Gesture)
Using Point of View
Macro and Micro Composition – the teachings of Sam Abell
Using External References
(Components coming soon)